Saturday 7 July 2012

The F- word.

Have you ever heard of the Arowana fish? The male species of this carnivorous clan of fishes bite of the female's tail before breeding. Sort of what you'd call domestic violence. And the female fish in response lays low at the bottom of the tank, to avoid the drama I suppose. I've actually seen this happen, my uncle who is a fish maniac bought two of these fishes in order to breed. Apparently, breeding of these particular species of fishes is quite profiting as long as you can figure out the difference between a male and a female fish. We didn't realize that domestic abuse is part of the breeding process and transferred the female fish to a bucket where she died later that evening. The death of this particular fish was followed by great sobbing from my sister and my uncle. The death of a fish that knew nothing about me and who I knew very little about, still left me sad. Why?
Maybe because she was helpless, there was nothing it could do to save itself. We consoled ourselves thinking that at least we put it out of its misery.
It's not animals alone that go through these situations, people do too and we all know about it. Maybe there's a lot more I can do for them than I could have done for the female Arowana.


I'm a hardcore feminist. I don't know what instigated these feelings in me but I know that its better than being  against the idea.
All the talk about how times have changed, how people perceive things in a different way, how gender inequality is slowly reaching extinction. Really, has it?


The amount of women I know who have gone through and/or are going through mental, physical or sexual abuse or a combination of the three is staggeringly high. And what do most of them do about it? Nothing. Just like the Arowana, lay low. The hidden stigmas in our society. It's a nasty circle, the son acquires from the father and the daughter from the mother. 
It's like being a pushover is a feminine characteristic, to be trampled on, to obey. Does your own happiness mean so little to you?



Have you ever wondered why a woman changes her last name after her wedding? Is it really necessary? Women who stand up against this perception are considered to be strong headed and overbearing. Women who stand up against any male privileges that are considered to be normal in any given society are considered to be too fast, ambitious, controlling and any other adjective in a negative light.

 It's hard to voice your feminist views since people are always ready to attack, to call you self centered and angry. Attacking a person voicing their opinion is a form of silencing, especially when there's a group of people against it which sadly often includes women.

"I've been through it so can you", is a phrase often used by older women to silence the growing fury among the younger women. Discrimination and taking advantage of women is wrong irrespective of what you have been through. The only way we can change the society and its absurd norms is by bringing about a change in our attitude and instilling in young minds that they are not secondary to anyone.


Feminism is often than not mistaken as hatred for men and cultures that keep them at the center. As a feminist I don't hate men neither am I voicing my opinion to revoke male privileges. I favor feminism because it fights for the rights of women, it helps break down barriers that allow women to live their lives based on their choices and decisions without facing any hindrance.

It is not a favor done by the world on us for valuing our opinion or by allowing us to vote, work and drive . It is something that women have fought for and are still fighting for. Why do we always have to snatch what we rightfully deserve?

It is not your responsibility as a woman to sacrifice and bear the atrocities committed onto you by any male or for that matter even female members of your society. It is not your responsibility as a daughter to watch your mother suffer in silence or carry the burden of your family's shame. It is not your duty as a mother to always stay at home and care for your children while your dreams take a hike. It is not your duty to be silent.

It is the duty of the world to treat you as an equal.

P.S. It's not that I want what men have, more like I need to have what I want. Plus, this is not a hate post, because I know many men would want to think so, besides men can be feminists too.

No comments:

Post a Comment