Saturday 21 July 2012

Glitter and magic convolved with blood and passion.

GlowPhoenix 7975! Finally I'm granted admission into Pottermore. Just last year everyone was scrambling to be one of the Beta users, this was when Pottermore was to be opened to a few lucky fans. I, being an ardent lover of the Harry potter series hurried to answer the riddle that would allow me to be part of this magical world. Once I was done answering it I helped my sister with it and both of us waited with bated breath for our welcome message. My sister had to probably wait for two minutes for her acceptance letter whereas my owl never arrived. Heartbroken would be an understatement to describe my plight. Muggle siblings of wizards and witches, I know exactly how it feels.


Nevertheless, Pottermore has finally opened its doors to all muggles and so begins my road to reminiscence.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the first book in the Harry potter series is by far my favorite, so going through the web chapters of this story on the Pottermore website was nothing short of a joy ride. From the shopping in Diagon Alley to my wand choosing me, the Sorting ceremony (they put me in Gryffindor), 93/4 train station and so on. The website is so excellently constructed I am actually reliving my preteen and teenage years where I would often be wandering the hallways of Hogwarts with my then crush Harry Potter. Harry Potter not Daniel Radcliffe. The undesirable no. 1 in the wizarding world was the most desirable among muggle teenage females.


Quite obviously though,  the website cannot substitute for the feeling of excitement we as  fans had waiting outside bookstores for the latest Harry Potter book or for that matter even the movies. Now all we have to make do with is the Twilight Saga, Vampire Diaries or any other blood sucking and mindless stories.

Though both the past and present obsession is with stories that are based on imagination, one is more closer to reality than the other. Harry Potter revolves around the notion of family, friendship, loyalty and how a combination of these can stand up against any dark power. On the other hand all vampire stories circle around a girl who makes an angel out of a devil man which hardly ever happens in reality, they do not really concentrate on any other human emotion besides that of love and lust.

Add to this the new phenomenal story, Fifty Shades of Grey, I'd like to call it Fifty Shades of Sadism. The story's main protagonist is a clumsy and an insecure girl who falls in love with a dangerous man with umm different desires yet a sensitive side (Hmm, I wonder where we've read this before). Author's these days in particular E.L. James have forgotten the impact of the written word. The entire plot underlines violence, demeaning of women and glorifies false hopes in big black and bold. If any woman is in such a sadomasochism relationship with the hopes of changing her man's ways, then well stop reading fifty shades of grey and vampire stories and surround yourself with self help books.


Anyway, now that my summer, long, sunny and hard semester is coming to an end I hope to stumble across a good read. Until them I'll be filling my boring moments with lots of magic.


P.S. When I called Fifty Shades of Grey a phenomenal story I was being sarcastic. Also, to excite the child inside you join www.pottermore.com. No, nobody is paying me to advertise the website. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment