Tuesday 3 July 2012

What's in a name?

I remember as a teenager my main aim was to be loved, to have the most friends ever, to be popular, cool, rad whatever adjective you were aspiring to be. It's so silly that as teenagers we are so occupied with trying to be different, listening to music we despise, to fit into a group that will never like us and doing lots of other things that at present make my skin cringe.
I tried my hand at a lot of things in the attempt to be different and possibly with the desire to attract friends like honey attracts bees. I tried to dance when undoubtedly I was so bad at it; I am actually haunted by its memory till date. I also sang a song with sound effects for a competition, surprisingly I won but I bet it was more for the comedy than talent. Okay! I'm bleeding with embarrassment. 

So parents, who are obviously obsessed with the well being of their children have now found an absurd way to make their children seem cool from the very first day of their lives. By giving them special names. I'd say ridiculous, but treating your cat like your little sister is ridiculous to many, so I'm going to try and be open minded. Apparently, these names are going to help us fit in. Wrong.

When was the last time someone came up to you at school and said," Wow! I think you have a beautiful name, let's be friends"? That is, with the plain reason to just be your friend and nothing more. A good name might not affect your social life in any way but a bad name might.

I honestly was not really happy with the name that I was given. Not my first name, my second name. I don't really get the idea of having a second name, seriously what is the purpose of it? If anyone comes up with a good reason, please let me know, I need to defend myself when people ask me the same. It's highly embarrassing for me, especially when people ask me if my second name is my dad's name. I don't blame my parents for giving me a second name, if I had any sense as a baby I'd probably scream out in protest, even though most people tell me my name is not even half as embarrassing as many others that have come up in recent times. So I decided to Google, "special names for babies" just to make myself feel better and did I come across the weirdest names ever.
Naming a baby girl He is not normal unless her parents are gay. Virgin, seriously! I cannot imagine to what extent this poor child will be bullied. Gal for a baby boy, these parents’s might as well give lessons on bullying to children because it seems to be exactly what they are doing to their child.

Another popular notion believed by many parents is that the name you give a child affects their personality. I actually know a couple who named their daughter Nimrah which is Arabic for lion, and apparently because of the profound effect her name had on her she ate like an animal so eventually they decided to change her name. It could be hereditary no? 

I however, feel that people represent their names, Hitler for example. The name probably had a different initial meaning or did not have a meaning at all but post Hitler era it does. Hitler defines someone with tyrannical characteristics, weird as it may seem I don't see anyone naming their child Hitler to disprove.

I can't change the perception and thoughts of the present parent, the damage is sadly done, but I most certainly can of the future parent. At the end of the day your name is your identity.

P.S.Not all names are horrendous and degrading, I personally love the name Blade. Also, my blog address is the meaning of my name and essenze is not a typo it's a deliberate attempt at being different. Not much has changed. Sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment