Wednesday 27 June 2012

The brain has no muscles, yet it exercises amazingly well.

The lazy habit of thinking. I actually think of it as lazy, because I often find myself resorting to it when I am absolutely bored or disinterested. Here's what I think are the top 8 places where sloths like me juice our brain.

8. While watching mindless television : I think this sort of television is aimed at an audience that can't or doesn't want to think, but in fact it makes people think. Most of the times I end up worrying for the sanity of people on these shows especially the reality tv shows.Sigh.

7.Traffic/Queues : The excruciating pain we go through while standing in line or waiting in traffic. All sorts of sadistic thoughts pass by my mind like, why couldn't these people bang each other's cars after I passed by? Or, I wish I could shoot the people in front of me and walk over their corpses to the beginning of the line. 

6.Family functions : How did I allow myself to walk into the torture room. However, thanks to the fake giggles, outrageous ice breakers ,small talk and amazing food I never run out of entertaining thoughts, especially when it involves someone falling down and dragging another along with them.True story.

5.Exams : While studying for them or writing them suddenly things seem a lot interesting. I don't know if it's the lack of sleep or the fact that everything interesting is timed by God to match your exam timetable, but I just cannot keep my mind on my books. Suddenly the color of my walls, shape of my sister's toe and the minute particles dancing in my balcony seem quite entertaining.

4. Salon/Barber : Takes my mind to the relaxing and imaginative beaches of Maldives, especially while having a haircut or a manicure. Definitely not while waxing or threading, I'm just concentrating on PAIN then. So I'm in Maldives enjoying my vacation, and 'snap', suddenly I'm asked to tilt my head in an extremely awkward position. After that all I can think about is how my haircut has turned out.

3.Before sleeping : Darkness, quiet and loneliness, best time to talk to self. Most of my life's decisions essentially the bad ones are made at night. I usually sing myself to sleep, most people I've heard cry themselves to it. I also keep worrying about the monster who lives under my bed ready to grasp my feet even if a small portion of my toe is visible to it.

2.While sleeping : It so happens that my brain refuses to do what it's supposed to at night, sleeping of course. Amusing though is the fact that the answers to all the hard problems on my exam I had that morning occur to me when I'm supposed to be half dead. Then again maybe, it was my classroom where I was half dead. Hmm. 

1.Bathroom/Toilet/Inspiration space : Ever heard of Archimedes, he's the man who discovered the "Archimedes Principle"  in a bathroom while he was taking a bath. Apparently he ran naked in the streets screaming Eureka on his discovery. Just like Archimedes, most of my amazing thoughts are formulated in the bathtub or for most people on the toilet seat, hopefully nobody leaves their unfinished job in the toilet and makes a run for it in excitement. As a matter of fact I've finished this entry in my washroom.

P.S. for those interested Archimedes principle states that a body immersed in a fluid experiences a buoyant force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.Food for thought, something you can think about in one of the above mentioned places.

No comments:

Post a Comment