Thursday 21 June 2012

Wrath of the Halo

Friend (with hideous amount of makeup on) : How do I look?

Angel: She looks amazing, tell her that.

Devil : Tell her she looks like a kid with face paint on.

You: You look great!

So there's a thin line between dishonesty and hurting someone. What do you choose? Often i find myself in such a situation and there's a constant fight between well, me and myself as to which side to pick. On one hand I am telling the truth and on the other hand I save someone from being hurt. Many times, when people ask me what do you think about so and so, ( I really do not know why such a topic ever comes up) especially people i particularly dislike, I end up siding with indifference. The most common reply to my indifference is that I am being fake. Am I?

Apparently I am. I am supposed to say what I feel and do what I like or else risk being called fake. Now let's imagine another scenario.

I walk into a shop where I find a ps3 CD that is totally out of my budget, but i really want it.

What I feel like doing : Grab the CD and run for my life.
What I actually end up doing : Sulk on my way home.

So now, there's also a fine line between happiness, which is doing what I want and sadness which is doing what is right.

I am in no way encouraging dishonesty, neither am I saying that you should say something on your friends face and something behind their back. But is it okay to laugh at your friends not so funny jokes even if it means your face muscles are cursing you? Is it okay to say that you love someone when actually the word love makes your insides cringe?

If I say I love you will it be enough or should I rip my heart out to prove it to you. Maybe a few comforting words will make you mine for a day and then we can go back to pretending we poisoned each other's lives. Are we ever completely honest with ourselves?
Doesn't' it happen that sometimes you are supposed to or even demanded to behave in a particular way that conflicts with your interests. Sometimes I find my own wants and interests conflicting with my abilities. This makes it even harder for me to make decisions, for me to decide what I truly want to do or want to feel like.
Sometimes part of me wants something while the other half demands the complete opposite. Is it because you left a part of you in me?

People who know me know how much I love food(especially seafood) but I think my nose eats food more than my mouth can take and even though I am really hungry my appetite gives up. There, even my stomach refuses to agree with me often than not these days.
What we decide to do in a particular situation often decides the path we take on, a path we must follow for the rest of our lives. Ultimately, all of us are aiming for perfection. Every one of us has our own definition of perfection. The perfect life, perfect story, perfect marriage, perfect kids, perfect job and on and on. Some looking for it, some trying to achieve perfection through imperfect means and some trying to own it.
Perfect for me is not being pretty, intelligent, charismatic or a combination of these. It's not something external, its something you must find within yourself. For me perfect is being completely honest with oneself without having to trample over the soul of another. Aaah. You wouldn't be a human then, would you? You'd be an angel.


P.S. We have a better chance looking for an angel than being one given the circumstances. Just saying. Also, thankfully nobody I know wears hideous amounts of makeup. Why do people do that to themselves, seriously!


No comments:

Post a Comment